Monday, January 31, 2011

5K Challenge - Day 2

So, still at it. Yesterday was Sunday and therefore my self-appointed "day of rest."

Today we went to the Y and I hit the treadmill. I decided to not take it easy on myself and after my five minute warm-up at a brisk walk, I pushed myself to 15 minutes of running at 4.6 (or about 1 mile every 17mins). Not exactly record-breaking, I know, but considering that I haven't really pushed myself with a cardio workout of serious proportions since my running class in college, and I am now over 30..... I'm very impressed with myself. I then walked at a brisk pace for 2 minutes (or until I quit sucking wind and the stitch in my side went away) then went right back to running at 4.6 for another 5 minutes. I used the last 3 minutes to cool down, and I ended up with 2.1 miles in 30 minutes. Now, to squeeze another mile in there by April..... I think I can do that.

If you are wondering why I always keep my cardio to approximately 30 minutes.... it's a courtesy rule at the Y. They like everyone to keep their workout to 30 minutes per machine to give everyone a chance to use the one they want. You can go over that if it is very empty, but it's Monday. Everyone was feeling guilty for eating junk over the weekend and gorging at the all-you-can-eat buffet after church, and therefore tonight it was far from empty! And for me, I want to be able to run the 5K in 30 minutes or less. So having the 30 minute block helps me gauge how well I am progressing toward my goal.

Tomorrow, cross-training. Yoga or pilates on the Wii....maybe some Just Dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment